Beringer Associates Technology Blog
Error When Opening A User Record In Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011
I had a recent phone call from a customer who was getting a generic “Error has occurred” message when clicking on any user account in the Microsoft Dynamics CRM organization. There was no mention of denial of permissions or an error code, just a generic error message. The user was a system administrator in the Microsoft Dynamics CRM organization, so he should have had full permissions to view anything.
After researching the issue I identified the following resolution:
1. Navigate to Settings > Customizations > Customize the System.
2. Expand Entities > User, and select Forms.
3. Open the User form and double-click on the Restricted Access Mode attribute. (At times the Restricted Access Mode Field is not on the form, add it if it is missing)
4. On the formatting tab, change the Control Formatting dropdown to “Two radio buttons” and click OK.
5. Save your changes and publish customizations.
Once complete, the User records will be accessible for all users who have permission.
The important point here it that somehow (and we don’t know how it happened), the Restricted Access Mode field type had been changed to something other than the expected two radio buttons, and the field’s permissions were not being correctly applied to the CRM User records. This is an important lesson in customization – be aware of any solutions (managed or unmanaged) that might modify required fields.
Beringer Associates is a leading IT solutions provider specializing in CRM Solutions, Managed Network Services, Unified Communications, and Internet Cloud Computing. You can contact us at email@example.com, 856-910-7771.